Welcome to the 7th level of Hell!!

This is a spot for my thoughts, musings, observations. If your offended by my words than please feel free to never visit again. However if you enjoy the strange happenings of my life and weird way my mind works I personally invite with a warm little cyber hug to join me again and again on my journey!

Bex

Monday, February 14, 2011

Saint Valentine's Day

And yes this is going to be a snarky blog.

After doing a bit of research, it kind of gave me a case of the giggles that there is no definitive explanation of St. Valentine's day. First because there were so many St. Valentines and secondly because they each had a bit of a tragic end. Now there are some that believe it is yet another one of those holidays created to cover up it's original Pagan roots stemming back from the Romans and Greeks and before even those societies. Then there's the popular belief that it's a holiday mostly propagated by Greeting card and Chocolate companies to create an astonishing an insane amount of revenue.

It's killing me to watch the News right now. All anyone can say is Happy Valentine's Day!!!! All other news is unimportant next to the headlines of how to get a last minute gift for your loved one, the right cards to buy, how to get a last minute flower delivery. Even the Weather guy is wrapping his forecast around Valentine's Day hints at romantic dinner plans, "So be both Chivalrous and cautious tonight guys" Yep that's what he said.

Did you know that Arizona rep Gabrielle Giffords is lip syncing easy tunes and beat a nurse at tic tac toe and can use a walker now? Do you know how huge that progress is for a victim of being shot in the head???? That's the equivalent of standing up and then flying! Nope Mrs. Giffords was wedged in between jewelry and flower stories, she was given 15 seconds.

Egypt is celebrating being under Military control. Yeah, you read that correctly. Egyptians are CELEBRATING being under Military control. There's no way I'm touching that subject quite yet because I can see where it's going to go however, even that got 10 seconds in between stories of lasting loving couples.

And on the topic of lasting loving couples, Jenna Bush interviewed George and Barbara Bush. Evidently George wrote love letters to Barbara every year on Valentine's Day. Ok I'll admit that I was touched by this. But the truly poignant moment for me was when jenna and grandpa George were crying and Jenna, through the tears "Grampa why are we such cryers?" Barbara answers "You could be Speaker of The House." OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MOMENT EVER!!!

I bought my "friend" a gift but decided to give it to him Saturday instead of today. For a couple reasons. One because I didn't want it to seem like a forced gifting. Secondly because I was excited to give it and couldn't wait. And also because he's not one for the traditional relationship rules and regs so didn't want to push the boundaries.

I digress. Here's my point: There is way too much stress on this day as I've said time and again. Show the person that you love, that you Love them on a Saturday not because Hallmark Cards says that you HAVE to on February 14th. Now I'm not saying it's not nice to see effort on Valentine's Day but effort should be there 24/7 365. Put forth effort on the 27th as much as the 14th.

So I will leave you with this,

HAPPY MONDAY FAITHFUL READERS
BEX, NOW AND FOREVER!

No comments: