Welcome to the 7th level of Hell!!

This is a spot for my thoughts, musings, observations. If your offended by my words than please feel free to never visit again. However if you enjoy the strange happenings of my life and weird way my mind works I personally invite with a warm little cyber hug to join me again and again on my journey!

Bex

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Friday shopping and why I despise holidays

In my previous blog "Bex Product Endorsements" I tried to give you all a little bit of insight into the easiest ways to shop. Some listened and others didn't.

Now I understand the whole Black Friday shopping tradition for some people. It's tradition, I get that. But for all of you that headed out in the middle of the night or had to completely rearrange dinner plans just to get the best deals, you guys should have listened to me. Best Buy had a 40 inch LCD TV for $199.99, small print in the ad said only 10 in store and you had to be first in line to get a ticket for it. Online 12 hours before, same sale, same price, no line, no out of stock or ticket loss. Could have bought it without the hassel, picked it up in the store, no charge. Old Navy? Bought all my stuff waiting for dinner to get done while watching football. Electronics? Bought it all 30% off the prices you paid in Walmart/Target/Best Buy while sipping my coffee in my jammies on Amazon.

What I don't understand is this: Why start standing in line in the middle of the night for a chance, just a chance to maybe be one of the lucky few to get a ticket for something?? Why deal with the pushing, shoving, 500 angry people all fighting for the same thing, the trampling, the pepper spraying, the people dying?

Here's my theory. I think women really do need a physical vent. Guys have football, hunting etc. Women have competitive sport shopping. Look at the Running Of The Brides at Filene's in NYC!! Pure physical athletic prowess is needed to survive that hot mess! I think the Black Friday Shopping experience is a female version of Ultimate Fighting/MMA. It's the 1 day out of 365 that chicks can fully let go and beat the piss out of a stranger for that $20 sale item! Think about it, if it weren't for the ability to go all psycho bar brawl in a store, all the women that you know would have shopped like me, online and in your jammies!!! No mixed martial arts needed!

I love to shop, no secret there. I love to go to a store and find uber awesome deals. 70-80% off is my language. When I'm feeling down I go to the mall and shop all the clearance racks, spend $30 and get 2 full outfits with accessories. I come home and feel incredible. Point being that shopping should be a satisfying, happy experience. Shopping+violence=No Bex. It turns my favorite experience into an ugly completely non-fun outing. I want no part of 1,000 people shoving each other in a mall. It makes my favorite past time seem like a sporting event, no thanks I'll pass on this madness every year.

Holidays. Oh how I hate Holidays. Growing up it was always a huge production complete with 15 family members and 10 hours of cooking. When I was away from home, I always tried to keep it as calm as possible but I always end up with 10 friends also away from home, so 15 people and 10 hours of cooking. This year it was just a small affair with more drama than the big production. I've never had a more miserable holiday. If I thought for one second that I could get away with just giving everyone their presents and just skipping Christmas, I would. But that little idea has already been slapped down. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Christmas isn't miserable too.

I'm not feeling particularly festive anyway but having it explode like that really killed whatever spirit I had. Usually I get pretty happy putting up my tree and decorations and I'm hoping that this year it does the trick. Although I am pretty psyched that I got the boys presents all bought already! Usually I wait till 2 days before lol! Woohoo me!!! I keep saying it, but I'm hopeful round 2 in Holiday hell goes better.

Till Next Time Faithful Readers,

Ebenezer BEX