Welcome to the 7th level of Hell!!

This is a spot for my thoughts, musings, observations. If your offended by my words than please feel free to never visit again. However if you enjoy the strange happenings of my life and weird way my mind works I personally invite with a warm little cyber hug to join me again and again on my journey!

Bex

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Bex Memory For You....

My dad was never a big reader, it was always my mom. When I was 8, my dad was going through some boxes of his and found a couple of old paperback books. The kind of paperback's that were marked $.70 retail price, lol. I can honestly say that the first 2 that he handed me completely made me tune out and try to wiggle around him to see what other more interesting treasures may be hidden in that box! I wasn't allowed in our back closet so when dad was in there, I was in there or at least trying to get a peek at what wonders could possibly be in there. There had to be wonders in those boxes and suitcases if I wasn't allowed in there because I was never forbidden anything in our house.

As I was trying to serpentine my way around him, he handed me a paperback. "This book is something that you should read, read it front to back and come tell me what you think." I looked at it skeptically at first, this book looked like it had been through hell and back and took several detours along the way. It dawned on me that if this book looked that worn, it meant that dad had read this book many times and it was important enough to be placed, carefully in a box and kept in the forbidden area. He had handed me a copy of Farenheit 451by Ray Bradbury. I left dad to continue his adventures and went directly to lay on my bed and read.

I started reading at a severely young age and I comprehended all that I read. However, as any cerebral person will tell you, reading, comprehending what you read is a completely different creature than having a story reach out and pull you in to it. I had never really experienced that before that day.

I laid across my bed all afternoon, I read that book twice that day. That evening I came downstairs and my dad was sitting on our patio, I just stood there and he asked if I had finished the book. I promptly burst into tears, crawled up on to my dad's lap and cried myself to sleep.

I won't bore you with the details of the conversation that dad and I had about that story or my interpretations of the story itself. After that day, talking with my dad, I was quite certain of 2 things. My dad was the epitome of that quote "Still waters run deep" and that if one story could pull me in like that, there had to be more!! I was completely hooked and I wanted to write just like that when I grew up!

Even today, I will get lost in a story and find it so hard to leave that wonderous land that I will re-read it over and over until I need a new copy. And I like to think that you will read my adventures, my stories or my quirky observations and live them with me through my words. I could never hope to be a Ray Bradbury but if 1 person on this planet reads my words and gets lost in the experience than that is good enough for me.

There are times that it all just seems like too much for me to handle at one time and let's face it, nothing ever comes at me unless it all comes at once in an overwhelming wave. When those times hit me, I lay across my bed all afternoon and I usually read it twice :)

Till Next Time, Faithful Readers,

BEX

2 comments: