Welcome to the 7th level of Hell!!

This is a spot for my thoughts, musings, observations. If your offended by my words than please feel free to never visit again. However if you enjoy the strange happenings of my life and weird way my mind works I personally invite with a warm little cyber hug to join me again and again on my journey!

Bex

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Original ideas and the lack of them in modern cinema

I had a discussion with Ray, my tattoo guy when he was doing my Chaos & Candy ink. And I've recently had this same discussion with Dave and my mom, so now it's time to get it in a blog.

True Grit, Willy Wonka, Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm St, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, House on Haunted Hill, Hills have eyes, etc. The list goes on and on with remakes and soon to be remakes. Are you honestly telling me that with all the talented screenwriters, directors, producers that not one of them has an original idea for a movie? All the new books and not one merits a screenplay? If they can make a new chick flick every 30 seconds it seems then why can't someone come up with a new horror flick and stop remaking my favorite ones? Some of the remakes, I've truly enjoyed. Dawn of the Dead was a brilliant remake and it stayed pretty true to the original as did Hills Have Eyes. But others just piss me off till I'm in an indignant fury. I feel as if these remake assholes are dismissing the brilliance and creativity that went into the original films. They negate the originals by choosing to do it better. Speaking from a cinephile stand point, I do not want my movies remade better!! I like my movies the way they were originally made. Example of a remake that made me want to trek across the country to beat a remaker into a bloody mess. My Bloody Valentine was one of my favorite slasher flicks of all time. It really set a precedent in the genre. I mean that was the first time you saw a dismembered head in a clothes dryer! How fucking cool was that one scene! In the remake they changed the damn story line so that it was more "psychological". I don't want psychological I want bloody true to form slasher gore! And they took out the head in the dryer scene, WTF??? If your going to remake these awesome films please leave in the best gory scenes.

There are other films that I just plain out refuse to watch. They are remaking True Grit and Hellraiser. Anything that had The Duke in it should NEVER be remade, EVER!! John Wayne was a cinematic GOD! The people that thought it was okay to remake his greatest film should be boiled alive in hot oil. Hellraiser was mine. I had everyone of the movies, posters, the coat, mask, etc. Clive Barker is not only an excellent writer but an awesome director. Those movies are incredible! I will not watch the remakes of my favorite films especially not after the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory debacle. Tim Burton needs to be slapped for that.

I can understand remaking a film that's 50 years old. Well okay I can understand the thought pattern behind remaking a 50 year old film because of the new cinematic technology but i don't agree with it. If someone remade Metropolis I wouldn't watch it because the original silent movie is very poignant. But my question is why are they remaking movies that aren't even that old? Why remake a 15 year old movie? Why not remake something from 1934? Actually Hollywood, just stop stealing other peoples ideas and go get one of your own. I'm tired of you fucking up my movies.

Till next time faithful readers,
Bex

No comments: